Wednesday 2 December 2009

Over the weekend, I was thinking about my belly, and how I'd like to lose it for my upcoming wedding in June, and I've always been partial to those meal replacement drinks - mainly because I like milk shakes and they're easy, no thought required.

So I stumbled upon an aussie website call www.becominghealthy.com.au and what got my interest was that they had different shakes for different requirements, and also offered free help from their dietitian Bill Cootes.

I'm glad to say I've purchased my shakes, and am now waiting to get them across which should be a couple of days away, but that's not what I wanted to blog about. What I wanted to blog about was something that Bill ran through with e today...

I was talking to Bill about my height weight, what I want to get down to what I'm doing now, etc... and I mentioned that normally I would drink 8 to 10 coffees a day, a lot I know, but I have a habit of drinking it like water, I have my mug by me and just keep drinking away, then I might have one or two when I get home.

So Bill got me to write some figures down and do some calculations.

I have 2 sugars with my coffee, so 16 teaspoons of sugar a day, and there are 6 grams of sugar in a teaspoon = 96 grams of sugar x 4 calories = 384 calories from the sugar in my coffee alone per day.

Now in 1kg of body fat there are 9000 calories. So if you decide to eat someone, don't eat the crackling I guess?

So if you take 384 calories from sugar in my coffee multiplied by 365 days a year = 140,160 calories, divide that by 9000 calories or 1kg of body fat and that's a touch over 15.5kgs, 34 pounds or 2.4 stone in the really old measure.

Now I don't drink that many coffee's on the weekend, because I don't have a pot of coffee ready to be pured like I do in the office here, but I thought it was amazing to think with all the fad diets out there, that something so small a change in my life style could potentially have such an effect on me.

Cool huh?

Enjoy,
C

No comments: