Friday 7 March 2008

Advertising and kiddies

Can I say, in general I really like advertising and branding and all of that. I like the way James bond wears an Omega watch and that makes me want to have one as well, and how car ads make me want to buy them as well.

On the weekend I saw my brother and his kids, went out for lunch, then back to my parents for coffee and to raid the fridge (lunch wasn't that great), and the kids sat at the kitchen table and draw pictures.

Now my nephew is 10 - when I was 10 I was riding the streets pretending I was in the BMX Bandits and made up a fictional gang called the "crew of 87".

Outside of that I had no clue about clothing brands, bands (outside of AC/DC of course), or any of the generally accepted products marketed at 10 year olds today, which is what surprised me when I looked over and he was drawing fashion label symbols.

I mean it wasn't until I was 11/12 years old when we discovered Adidas 3 strips - and if you tracksuit pants had 2 or 4 strips you were going to get teased for being poor - ironic because the area we grew up in we were all poor - at least I knew my parents :)

It seems today that advertisers are managing to market to younger and younger kids, and I wonder to myself what kinds of additional pressures are we adding, to kids as well as their families - I mean we all can't be good at shop lifting. But as well as how that impacts on their development as children into adulthood?

I mean socially I found that competition really heated up at the age of 18 when we were allowed to hit pubs and clubs cruising for girls - that's not true, we stood in the corner and wished the footy players from Carlton would bugger off!

So what will life be like for them when competition really heats up in 8 or 9 years time?

One to ponder I think.



Cheers,
C

No comments: