Monday 9 February 2009

A damn shame

When I got home on Friday night, I sat down and put the tellie on - I remember thinking to myself, that I don't believe I've ever seen a warning of staying indoors unless you had to come from a state premier in Victoria.

The weather bureau predicting a max temp of 43c, but with many others saying that it was likely to get hotter than that - and it did, in the city of Melbourne, it tipped over 46c, and out in the suburbs it hit 48c.

The usual bush fires happened, as expected they would - even looking out the windows at home the sky was an ash grey colour - similar to when we had the last big fires a couple of years ago, but then the cool change came through, there was a touch of rain and the temps plummeted back down to the high 20's.

The news came on, an hour long special, and I admit I didn't really want to watch it, it was just going to tell me how far and wide the fires were, etc... Kind of expecting that it was just going to be of peoples stories about their homes that have been burnt down - bearing in mind that these are people that live in the bush, and there's got to be some expectation that one day it could happen, and I went on with my life and watched something I'd recorded on Tivo.

It wasn't until Sunday, that it really occurred to me actually how bad it was.

I've never been in a bush fire, and I have no comprehension of how quickly it moves, and how easily you can get trapped by it and figured that because the people in these areas had, then they'd generally be OK.

When I went to bed last night, there were 65 confirmed dead, and the reports were saying to expect many more - whole towns were burnt down, people were trapped on the roads trying to escape and people who got out described it as raining fire as the embers hit down on them burning them and their clothes as they ran to their cars.

When I woke up this morning, the figure had gone to 108 confirmed dead, with a further expectation that was going to rise again.

It's a damn shame, and beyond my comprehension of how quickly these fires can spread taking so many lives with it and the confirmation that in the beginning it was deliberate.

When it comes to others, I may not always appear to be the most sensitive person in the world, but my heart goes out to those that have lost their friends and families, and to those that still don't yet know.

C









Google




























No comments: