Friday 13 February 2009

Reasons why I like working in Brighton

When I started with Esendex a few years ago, we were in the beautiful area of South Yarra, the view from the office was amazing covering most of Melbourne, and was a real treat to work there.

When I headed out to get lunch, being right by Chapel street, there was a big choice and catching the tram home was always an interesting experience.

Requiring more space, we then moved to St Kilda, very, very close to home, and with some interesting people around the neighbourhood creating a bit of spice in our lives, but we lost the view siting in an old art deco ex mansion - but plenty of space though.

However, after the owners of the building decided to sell up and evict everyone from it, we found a fantastic new office in Bay Street Brighton - looking down onto Bay Street and beyond, it's nice spacious and being a new development very modern.

But that's not the real reason why I like working in the area.

I like working in the area because when I came to see the offices for the first inspection, I counted about $500,000 worth of car value, and that was just the first two I counted of many in the street.

It's quite nice to work in an area where it's regular to see Porsche 933 Turbo or a Maserati on the street - something that did make me smile was one day I was walking down the street when we first moved in to see what was about and there was a guy in a very expensive Maserati who couldn't get it to fire up, it was turning over, but that was about it.

I also like Brighton because people drive however they want and care little as to whether they drive into anyone else - we're right by a roundabout and frequently people just drive on through without looking, mostly because they're the ones that can afford the fines and insurance, etc...

It's like an expensive west, with rich cowboys doing as they please around here.

I also like the fact that we're in the same block of offices as the great Shane Warne (who has a nice Lambo himself, and may have caught Skye and I drooling over it the other day) - not so much because I think he's the most gifted and intelligent bowler god put on this earth, but because there are a lot of St Kilda footballers that come in here, including both the great Robert Harvey and Aaron Hamil (who i secretly call the Hamil Tiger - although it hasn't seemed to catch on).

But one of the best things I like about Brighton, that I would never have imagined would be the case, is the sense of community in and around here. I park my bike up in the morning, and as I'm getting of it people walk passed and give me a nod and a smile. I turn to go into the building and the local traders on the ground floor all give me a wave (and if you asked them what my name was they'd know), all the way up into the building and speaking to the other residents in here. And in the evening it's in reverse, although the oldies do seem more inclined to have a chat in the evening than in the morning but I know more people in and around here then I do in the block I live in and I've been there for a few years now :)

No, working in Brighton isn't one of the best things about working for Esendex, but it certainly adds to the attraction.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,
C









Google




























No comments: