Monday 17 December 2007

Are you looking at me? Or am I looking at you?

About a week or so ago we received a phone call from a private investigator wanting to get some software that would enable him to "spy" on people on intercept their SMS messages - we politely told him to have a crack at using Google - you know that thing you type into and it comes back with several million results?

To be fair, after that call I pretty much dismissed it because if it was possible and available to the general population I'm sure certain lobby groups would try and pressure the givernment to disaalow such technology as an unbelieveable encrochment of peoples right to privacy? Actually I don't tkink privacy is actually in our constitution, so really we have no right to privacy - we've just taken it from the American culture.

But then looking at the Whirlpoop forum, I saw a new link asking about spying on SMS with reference to a news artical on Saturday - and I thought, bah, still not happening - don't get me wrong I know the networks could do it if they wanted to, but they'd really have to have a need for it and wouldn't just get on there at lunchtime and see what's happening over the air waves!

So I took my own advice and used Google to see what I could come up with - initially it was just a bunch of dodgy looking handsets that fell short of having SPY PHONE plastered all over it which was hooked up to an online account that you could sit at and "listen in" to their conversations. Honestly, i my boss or girlfriend or who ever said "Chris, I got you a new phone, here you go" I would look at it and laugh and leave it in the wrapper assuming it was a gag phone from Toys R Us!

Continuing on in my search wondering what other rubbish was about the net and low and behold there it was - software that allowed you to target a particular handset and intercept SMS messages without the user ever noticing! Completely stealth they tell you - no lights, error messages, etc... comepletely undetectable, stealth in fact! Wow, amazing, I have to have it because I'm not quick enough to steal my girlfriends phone whilst she's in the loo and flick through her phone, I'll be extra sneaky - wait, hold on, hold on there's a catch, pretty much she needs to have a Nokia.

Yes that's right, if you have a Motorolla your safe - send your dodgy messages with complete freedom the syp software really only works on some Nokia's, 3 Samsungs, a Panasonic, Lenovo and a Motoriza - phew, my Blackberry is safe!

But being a Curious George, I had to know what it would cost me to confirm that someone, somewhere was doing something that I didn't know about and was a bit of a secret so I did it, I clicked on the prices button and scrolled - for only $495.00 USD I could listen in on my mum's SMS to Dad about getting some messages, but the other way though for two reasons, one is he has a Motorolla Razor and it doesn't work, the second reason is the fact he doesn't actually know how his phone works and can't send SMS's back!

Then I started looking at other stuff they had like call interceptions, SMS Location Based Services (which actually, we do in the UK), Phone Dead - this is cool if it works, which I don't think it does unless the target has a Nokia 5500, or the full suite for only $1495.00!

I'm sure that some of this stuff has mertit and because I'm not a spy and have no need for it, I'm probably not the best person to judge this stuff - but to say it's funny how there are no disclaimers with the acurracy of the LBS stuff, supported networks or even any warning that the user is responsibly should any laws be broken, you the usual stuff.

That said, the kid in me thinks it's quite cool - how good would it be to target the CEO of one of our competitors and listen in to what they have to say and the SMS messages they send and receive? Of course being a law abidding person that's not going to happen, especially when I noticed the trial wasn't actually available despite having a trial button!

To sum up, actually I think the moral of the storey is don't get a Nokia because it's easy for people to spy on you, instead go with one of the others!








Google


























No comments: