Tuesday 18 December 2007

iPods for learning

You know it's amazing how easy it is to learn stuff and take things in when people tell you about it rather than just read it on a page. I mean I bought Steven Hawkin's book The Universe In A Nutshell as an audiobook for my iPod for those long car trips when listening to the same tunes bores me and instead I could listen to something that would stimulate my brain.

From there I bought another audio book so that I could learn French, and guess what some of it sticks. I have a French customer and according to him for the first 10 seconds of the conversation I could be mistaken for being French - success! Well not really depends on your point of view.

From there I decided to look at what other bits and pieces I could get, preferably for free because I'm a bit tight like that - and there's a whole world of US Universities putting lectures and talks online free for anyone to come along and download - I've been able to listen to the Dean of Stamford's Business Management Department talking about the different positions of ones self, through to lectures from other universities regarding neuroscience.

I know what you're thinking, I'm the best looking nerd in town - probably you are right, especially about the nerd part, but you see the thing is really I am just an undiagnosed ADD sufferer. I'm the kind of person who just can't watch TV, I have to play on my iPod, or PSP or laptop. When I'm riding my little Aprillia to work I listen to my French lessons or if I have a cigarette I play with my Blackberry - so instead of wasting my time on games, I figure why not learn something? Plus it takes some concentration which for me is a good thing!

There have been a lot of news articles lately regarding High Schools and Universities getting in on iPod's as an educational tool and as a non-reader (because as you can guess, if I'm reading I can't do other stuff and so get really bored) iPod make a great alternative - as long as people read isn't that more important than the actual reading in the first place?

But thinking about it rationally, I can talk faster than I can read and I can think faster than I talk, so surely listening to someone else talk I'm able to take in the information that much faster than if I sat at home with a book?

I know thinking back on this, if this kind of technology was available to me when I was at school, I'm fairly confident that I would have actually done a whole lot better than I did because I could take in the information faster than I actually did.

This is something that fascinates me and I would encourage anyone to give it a go - the worlds full of stuff that you always wanted to learn about and know, and this is the best path to take to get it and understand.

Good luck with it.








Google


























No comments: