Friday 21 December 2007

Time travel

Alright, I'm on a blogging roll - and really none of these have anything to do with SMS, yet I some how manage to work them into every blog I do - see I've already done it!

I've listened to Steve Hawking's book "The Universe In a Nutshell" heaps of times - I really like it, every time I listen to it I have more and more idea's about what he's saying. I guess that makes me a philosophiser, because I could never do any of the calculations of the hypothesis I was coming up with.

In the book he talks about time travel and whether it's possible to move forwards or backwards in time - to tell you the ending, he says that you could move forward in time, but the chances of moving back in time is too large for me to bother telling you the odds, but to say it's something like a trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion to the power of 10 to 1 - imagine putting down a $1.00 bet at the TAB on that one? I'm pretty sure that if it ever came off they'd struggle to pay the bet out!

You see time it relative - an experiment was carried out with two highly precise clocks, one each on it's own plane. One plane went west and the other went east until the came to the same spot. The clock on the plane that went east showed a slightly different time, by a fraction of a second, to the plane that went west and in his words if you wanted to live longer fly east.

So there for moving forward in time is possible, however because time is relative, it would take so much energy to move forward in time that no government could bare the cost of project.

This is where I stop understanding why moving backward in time isn't possible. Now we know, or more accurately believe that dark stars, or black holes exist - they are dead planets that are falling into themselves and dragging everything around it in, including light. They are many times bigger than our sun and made of dark matter. So here's my idea, if we ever located a black hole, why could we not slingshot ourselves around these dark bodies to shift our position in time? Because time is relative as we moved around the orbit of the black hole, to observers our speeds would change however perceptually to ourselves orbiting the body time would continue as we have always known it. Therefore we would be using the negative energy of the dark matter to move forwards, or backwards in time?

The other thing that I think of, and I don't know how possible it is, is the ability to use dark matter in a negative way to move ourselves back in time?

What I mean is if I wanted to create warms I take a log burn it and the energy used creates heat. If I want to create a blast to push something at speed, again I burn a fuel and send the object off to where I want it to get to - but what's the opposite of that? And what would the effect of doing the opposite to dark matter be? How would it change?

So imagine for a moment that I need to use a lot of energy to move forwards in time, so therefore if I did the opposite to dark matter could I move backwards in time?


Just a thought?

No comments: