Thursday 20 December 2007

If SMS is the now, then what's in the future? Part 2

I know I said that I would do this tomorrow, but I couldn't help it - plus I thought I might forget about what I was thinking about so I'm doing it now - in fact I only managed to last a couple of hours in between part 1 and part 2 - not really worth having a part 2 to be fair, but anyway.

So getting back to it - SMS is now apparently considered to be the most popular for of messaging in the world today, and thinking about it there is some way to go, however certain services like Premium Rate SMS may not be as we know it now, may develop into something more useful and meaningful rather than tits and bums on your mobile - which you could do yourself with a USB cable the knowledge of the sites that you would like to have on your mobile!

No we have a long way to go - I think I may have mentioned this before, but I really think that we will know when SMS has hit it's peak and plateaued is when mobiles start coming out with SPAM filters for SMS, that's when people will look for a workable alternative.

So what is the alternative? Well, for those not in the know (obviously I am not one of those, otherwise I wouldn't be able to tell you about it) there is a new technology that is being developed known as brain actuated technology - what? Yes it's actuated by the brain - no hands in other words, think it and it shall be done. I have seen something where a guy had an accident and was rendered a quadriplegic and so he became a subject in a raft of experiments where they hooked his brain up to a PC and tried to get him to think about moving the cursor.

Now, before you go cutting holes in your head and sticking your HDMI cable into yourself, wait for a moment, it took him forever and playing chess would be absolutely painful - as I know it, the technology works on the basis that for every function/message/reply, etc... the brain does it works on a particular electrical frequency so functions to do with the eyes are a different function than functions to do with your right arm.

Knowing this, we can develop technology that picks up on these frequencies and set a command to them that can be carried out by a computer - in fact I would dare to say that as we are conscious of what we are doing, we would probably develop new frequencies for these functions?

So here's the really far out part - in the future I think that it's absolutely possible to in fact be wired up via the brain and communicate across networks without having to use our fingers or hands - or even voice for that matter. This may be our way of developing telepathic communication, we think a sentence which produces a series of electrical frequencies and thought to voice software can then translate what I say into an audible sentence - or even better, the other person picks up on those frequencies and understands them as they trigger their own mind as if it's there own thought coming from you - a bit like being schizophrenic but not really.

The only thing that would hold us back would be our ability to clearly interpret what was being said, as well as what we thought as I think we're all guilty at one point of thinking things that we don't say, otherwise it would be limitless the possibilities.

It could get to the part where as long as we can keep the brain alive, we could turn into robots and live forever!! I know, it's becoming a bit like Futurama, but it could be true one day!

No comments: