Monday 1 June 2009

The other night Lisa I was searching through Ebay looking at cars, just because - we've had one car between us for the last couple of years, and I ride my GSXR to and from work each day, which doesn't bother me, but there are some days that I think to myself I'd prefer to be driving in rather than riding.

Anyway she made a comment about a car I had and how I shouldn't have gotten rid of it - although whilst I had she complained about it.

It got me thinking, I've had a couple of cars, and out of the cars I've owned (work cars are excluded from this) which one was my favourite?

Well, to start with I had an old TC Gemini which was fun as a first car, 4 speed manual, and revved it's little head off - until it was written off in a head on.

Then came an early 80's Mazda 626 - this was really cool at the time, 2lt 4 speed manual, so quiet I had to wind the window down to hear if it was on. It was really quite square and low which I really liked, and riving it was good.

Then onto the VK Calais - this was very cool, dark bronze over silver trim with a Group 1 grill and Centreline mags, digital dash and all leather interior. It was only the 6 and not the V8, but still cool.

From there it was back to a TD Gemini which had been worked (on the inside only), it had a 2lt engine from a Rodeo, with Webber carbies, mild cam, 5 speed manual, lowered and 5 slot mags - this thing flew. it was like putting a F1 engine into a go kart. I bought it off a guy who had done it all up, and got it for a steal - following advise from a boss once upon a time of if you want a done up car, buy one that someone else has already done, or get your ate to fix up his car and drive that. If you dropped the clutch in this thing it flicked out sideways, and once it got grip you were off. An amazing little car.

Then there were the Falcon utes, two of them, one a XF ute and a XG - they look pretty much the same too! Reliable, kind of, good for getting out of having to be the nominated driver too!

More recently came the 1976 XJ6 long wheel base - this was great, full eclectics, independent rear suspension, all leather interior with wood grain highlights. When you drove it you had to open the vents and have the windows open a bit because of the smell of fuel made you light headed. It also struggled starting quite often, leaving deposits on the spark plugs, changing the dizzy was a two day job which involved about 5/6 guys, but it was beautiful, and once going (as long as you only wanted to cruise) the drive was great, like being out on port phillip in a nice little cruiser boat.

Then most recently is the big 5.8lt Berlina - every time you put your foot down, you need to plant three trees. It's great, all the mod cons you could want, of course very reliable (I think the only trouble I really had with it was a flat battery caused by having the GPS constantly plugged in) and comfy on those long drives.

So which one was my favourite? Definite the Jag - race breed, once the auto got into gear it could go, the engine sounded awesome, and it was stylish with the shiny cat leaping off the front, this is the one car I should have tried to keep - although with it's fuel vapours in the cabin, massive oil leaks, leaking out as quickly as you put the oil in, the way the fuel gauge didn't quite work, and that you couldn't switch from one fuel tank to the other whilst driving was a bugger, for getting about the change in balance to the car (good idea at the time, but not in practice), the fact that starting it was a lucky dip and getting parts for the roadworthy that never quite happened was a nightmare, it was still cool, and would definitely look at buying one again!

Cheers,
C

No comments: