Friday 8 May 2009

I love football!

Can I say, I love football, AFL football that is - and I miss it so much during the summer it's not funny, almost to the point where I think what am I going to do this weekend, again?

Sure cricket during the summer is good, the IPL is good to watch - although being in South Africa, it's not that great this time around, they're just not as crazy as the locals in India about cricket which is part of the spectacle as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing is, cricket's only good to watch, unless you live for the game standing in the Australia summer sun all day hoping the ball might come to you at some stage while you watch some bloke blocking every ball is a rubbish way to spend the day, and you have no right to tell people you play sport. I mean I ride an exercise bike, but I don't tell people I'm a cyclist!

No, football is brilliant - it has speed, power, agility, and as an elite player, you simply must have well rounded sporting characteristics.

Rugby and soccer are OK too - rugby union, not that league stuff, it doesn't make sense, why do they scrum? No reason, they just want to make sure they resemble union because it's a better game and they want to pretend they're just as interesting. But still they don't beat AFL.

Guys constantly crashing packs, hard tackles, jumping on the shoulders to take flying marks, kicking the balls on angles for the right bounce to get the goal as their toes touch the boundary line.

It's amazing, and I still say nothing beats getting some take out, a beer turn the heater on and settle into the couch to watch the game on a Friday night - it doesn't even matter who plays, I'll still be there watching.

Also, there are very few other football codes where fans of different teams sit in relative harmony amongst each other, with the occasional banter being thrown around the terraces all in good fun*.

* This comment excludes Collingwood and Port Adelaide supporters who tend to be on the feral side of things - quick tip, should you ever be surrounded by these supporters and feel you need to get away quickly? A simple but always effect trick is using the power of confusion - I use the old "if I have an apple in one hand and an apple in the other, how may apples do I have?" and while they think about it run.

Essendon supporters are OK, but they're stuck in a time warp, I call it football Alzheimer's - they keep thinking they're a good team and winning premierships, but it hasn't happened for ages, and isn't going to happen anytime soon.

St Kilda supporters are the best, they've always been proud even though the old trophy cabinet is bear, we've been up there several times, we never let that get in the way of our enthusiasm.

Cats supporters used to be as good as Saints supporters, until recently - the best team in the league for the last two seasons, still only manage one trophy, but have become super arrogant and c'mon what's that about, they're from Geelong and their team colours consist of hoops! HOOPS! What? Yes hoops! They also seem to forget that they are and always will be know as the handbags of the competition - not my words, but it's just the way it is.

And when we get 18 teams into the comp, then all the better, as games will go from Thursday to Monday nights, we just need another four teams, and we could have a 7 day a week competition - we'd probably have to extend the season to 12 months - sounds like nirvana to me!

Cheers,
C








Google




























No comments: